Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Been shopping...


This morning I had to go out and get some supplies, when I got home and put them all on the table, they looked so good I decided to take a photo of them - don't they look yummy!

Also, my cute little purse must have snuck into the shot so as to appear in my blog!  Cheeky...

I have had a lovely morning, taking out all my children, with the wonderful company of my mother-in-law, & sisters-in-law Kate & Anna.  We all go and have coffee and talk about everything, and laugh and have a great time.  It seems that we must have been too happy for some people's social acceptability today, we were verbally abused - twice!

Who can believe it!  I was called to the front of the cue at McDonalds by the girl behind the counter, and a man in the que next to me decided it should be his turn instead, so he started yelling at me!  Now, I get VERY passionate about injustice - so I spoke back to him.  Which abusive people don't want you to do, you're supposed to bow down and cry - not me...

I turned and spoke to him like I would any misbehaving four year old and said "how rude!"  Well this incensed him, and he yelled again and called me every four letter word under the sun!  I was shaken inside, but I didn't show it, I won't let someone like that control me.  I carried on and just continued ordering the juice for the children, and the staff were very nice about it all.

Then later on someone yelled and swore at my mother-in-law because apparently Sean, my cute little blonde three year old was in his way.  Even if he was, (which he wasn't) I ask - was this an incredible failing on Mum's or three year old Sean's part?  A failing so severe that she deserved to be yelled at and called names?  No... 

Later I was thinking, this is a small unpleasant thing really, but there is a BIG principal.  There's often going to be someone in the shops who is rude and abusive when things don't go exactly their way.  The wisdom I have on this, is they cannot control the way I behave in response.  Sometimes it is best to ignore them, but today when this man started shouting at me and calling me names, I thought it was best to respond and show him that he could not make me be a naughty little girl.  He was in the wrong, not me.  This response I warn you, makes them angrier...  But as I said earlier, I have a lot of passion for justice, and I feel  that sometimes you have to speak up.

I even stuck up for a girl behind a counter once when a man started shouting at her because he reckoned something should be a different price....  

I figure if I let wrong happen in front of me, then perhaps I am condoning it...

Shell xx

3 comments:

  1. A beautiful photograph Shell and so many delicious looking goodies. I love baked parsnip the best of all!!! Next to the pumpkin of course, and the potatoes, and the onions and the sweet potato and not to mention (but I will) the meat!!! lol

    You'd think I love food or something!! Like I always say, I've never met a food I didn't like!!

    As for the unfortunate abusers today, good on you for not being a victim!! People like that often get away with their acts of violence and grow even louder and uglier without any reproof.

    I don't think Jesus would just stand there speechless either, or cry and run off. I believe He would admonish the person, gently and quietly, with love, as He does with all His children. To think He died for them too, so tragic they do not know Him, even though we know He knocks on the door of their heart many times a day.

    I pray one day they have ears to hear...

    bless you Shell, for showing the love and courage of Christ despite any other human feelings. You are a legend girl!!

    Linny xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly; I love buying fresh goods and laying them out in front of me; just the ideas of how they can be used and enjoyed; and the real joy is being able to find quality; grown things...

    And secondly - good on you for standing up to those abusers (heralds lynn). Without abusing back; I think we are entitled to voice injustice; I often find myself biting my tongue when I see things happening around me - but in the long run; if people are never aware that their actions affect others inappropriately how will they think to change?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today when I was out shopping, I saw a (presumably drugged) young man (egged on by a group of teenaged females - verbally attack a young worker on a retail stall in the Woden Plaza.

    I wasn't sure if that was exactly what was happening from where I was quite some distance away - it might have been an overly exhuberant friend, but I made sure I came back that way to check. Sure enough, she was upset and tearful so I went and comforted her. It struck me that she was so responsible that she hadn't even reported it to Security - preferring to take care of her customers first. She confirmed that he had verbally abused her and it was good to offer support and comfort, as little as it was.

    Her attitude showed the huge morality chasm between them... I agree that we should stand up where possible and wise.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts...