Monday, June 23, 2008

The Spirit and the law...


As I go about my tasks each day, I am always debating with myself in my head...  Coming up with theories on life...  Today I have been thinking about religion.  About what the word means really...

I am a Christian, but I am not religious.  I believe in the kindness, and goodness, and generosity and love of Jesus Christ.  I give God credit for having created the world, and everything in it.

I think Christianity is about being good when there is nobody else around.  Because it's right!  Not because it's easier or it suits you.  I think it's time spent with loved ones, and time spent marveling at the sky...


I think it is about the love, and the pursuit of living a long and happy life.  Which lets face it, is what we all want, don't we?  I do think the only way to real happiness is by walking this path, and getting back on it when we fall off to the side in our normal, human way!  Not spending time self loathing when we make mistakes, God doesn't want that from us.  He loves us, like a lovely Dad!

My fear, is that religion gets caught up in "law" meaning that you have to do this or that in order to feel good about your status with God.

I just think it's very simple - it's about being a good person, which also means speaking up at times when wrong is being done...

Theory, and thoughts still in progress...

On another note, we put up LOST posters of our cat 'Delilah' this afternoon.  I pray she comes home...

Shell xx

4 comments:

  1. Knowing the difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law is the end of empty religion - and the beginning of freedom and wisdom.

    love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. So right! Thank you for your comment, you put that beautifully. I am into freedom and love too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what you say is a real concern for all of us; I feel thrown too when I meet people who are of the "same religion" but have entirely different views of faith or indeed view it as black and white rules with no sense of spirit of freedom or understanding of grace and love. I think it is easier for people to latch onto law because it makes them feel sure of what they feel; when despite everything... faith is something we cannot "prove" it is not a field of science; it comes from the heart, we can read about it, we can talk about it, be encouraged and seek advice but most of all we need to talk to God about it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, only God knows your heart. And yet if you have a loving, gentle spirit - then others will inquire of the hope within you - that's the point I think - to inspire others to also give their hearts to God.

    But it can only be done in love. It can only be done by Him, inside of your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts...