Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Servant King


There is a famous quote by Elton John, 'If in doubt, write a hymn...' and though I did not write it, there is a wonderful hymn in my head today written by Graham Kendrick and it is not so much even the melody, but the words that explained our purpose here on earth, to my heart today...

The Servant King

From heaven you came helpless babe,
Entered our world, your glory veiled,
Not to be served, but to serve,
And give your life, that we might live...

Chorus -
This is our God, the servant king,
He calls us now, to follow him,
To bring our lives, as a daily offering
Of worship to the servant king

There in the garden of tears,
My heavy load, you chose to bear,
His heart with sorrow was torn,
'Yet not my will, but yours', he said

Come see his hands and his feet,
The scars that speak of sacrifice
Hands that flung stars into space
To cruel nails surrendered...

**Interruption!  This last verse I can never get out of my head - I think it is so instructive and beautiful**

So let us learn how to serve,
And in out lives enthrone him,
Each others needs to prefer
For it is Christ, we're serving.


I only just decided to google the title of the song this afternoon, therefore learning the name of the songwriter, as I'm not ordinarily a worship music listener.  I learned this song for a wedding ceremony several years ago, but, unlike so many songs I've had to perform for clients, this one has always stayed in my mind, impressed upon my heart.

Hope it speaks to you also.

Shell xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts...