Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Australian Story...


I am very proudly, one quarter wog!

My mother's side of the family were from Lebanon and Syria.  My great, great grandfather came out to Australia in 1891.  He settled himself in Queanbeyan, which is actually on the outskirts of Canberra.  Worked as a hawker and shop keeper.  He later opened a general store in Taree, NSW.  This is an advertisement from that very store...


So when he had made enough money, my great great grandfather sent for his wife and daughters over in Syria (before Lebanon was formally recognised as a country in it's own right).  I cannot even begin to imagine their struggle, and of course their bravery to come to the other side of the world, risking everything, for a better life...

I have only recently began to inquire about the circumstances of my ancestors.  And I thank them often in my prayers for coming to this country, so that I can enjoy such a free and prosperous life.

So, without boring you too much to tears, I shall end by saying how proud I am to be partly Arab!



This is me when I was two, with my grandfather Abdoo!

Shell xx

1 comment:

  1. From when you first told me of your family heritage I was so intrigued! We all have so much history in our ancestors; and there is something rewarding and humbling to know where we've come from.. Btw that photo of you as a little one is terribly sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts...