Thursday, October 9, 2008

Weep You No More, Sad Fountains



Another poem/song found in this delightful little book from Jamie's shelf.  You can hear it sung in the 1995 film adaptation of Sense and Sensibility by 'Marianne' played by the wonderful Kate Winslet.

I don't seem to poses the computer skills necessary to embed the youtube video onto my page (!) but if you're interested in hearing it sung (so beautifully I will add) then click here to watch...


Weep you no more, sad fountains;
What need you flow so fast?
Look how the snowy mountains
Heaven's sun doth gently waste.
But my sun's heavenly eyes
View not your weeping,
That now lies sleeping
Softly, now lies 
Sleeping.

Sleep is a reconciling,
A rest that peace begets.
Doth not the sunrise smiling
When fair at even he sets?
Rest you then, rest, sad eyes,
Melt not in weeping,
While he lies sleeping
Softly, now lies
Sleeping.

There is no author listed; just anon, which probably meant it was written by a woman.  I believe this was often the case in Elizabethan times.  Funny I thought the queen was a woman!

Shell xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts...