Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fabric for thought!


I have mentioned previously that I love dresses, and for my birthday, my family are paying for me to have a dress made.  So today was the day for choosing fabric!

Decisions, decisions...

I can sew a little.  But I haven't been into a fabric shop with the view to having something for myself in a long time, it was very exciting, and I learned a lot about different fabrics.  I had some colours in mind, but I learned that you really have to just see what is there, and what calls your name!  

And this was the fruit of our search...

When it is finished it will look more like a beautiful 'springy' wrap dress with 3/4 sleeves rather than this Grecian off the shoulder look!  Or perhaps I was going for the statue of liberty!  The colour is chocolatey heaven in my opinion, and I have great hopes of feeling very confident and pretty in this dress!  I shall post the finished product with me in it soon - I hope!

Shell xx

4 comments:

  1. How exciting Shell, you will be gorgeous whatever style you choose! and what's the problem with the Grecian look? ; ) Might be a bit cool on the bare shoulder this time of year...lol

    The last dress I ever had made especially for me was a bridesmaids dress in a peach colour (definitely not on my colour swatch!!)about thirty years ago!! Oh dear, some memories are best left where they came from, in the past!!!

    enjoy every moment and I can't wait to see you in the finished garment,
    ooh lala!!

    love

    L xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just see you as a little peachy bridesmaid now...

    ; )

    Thank you for your lovely encouragement on the dress. I will post very soon about the little flower girl dresses which Sarah bought the fabric for today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dress! A lovely, fitted dress made just for you! That is a most special and wonderful birthday present. Nothing quite like a dress that you have had a say in; something you know will feel magical when you wear it; you can call it your birthday dress - and when you put it on it'll make you smile. Do show photos when its all finished! I am about to embark on making myself my own, fitting dress.. but somehow I think it will turn out a little mishapen but it'll be fashioned with love :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Emily, I will be sure to put up photos when it is all finished - try and stop me! I am looking so forward to wearing it I cannot tell you!

    I have always enjoyed making my own clothes too, I haven't for years now, and I used to make dresses for Emma when she was a baby, she is ten now, so that should tell you how long it has been since I was sewing! You must show us your beautiful love fashioned dress when it's finished - I know it will be beautiful, your taste is impeccable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts...