Sunday, July 6, 2008

...what a wonderful town


One of the things I loved about New York was the apartments.  Those grand old doors, and stone stairs that lead up to them.  Who lives/lived inside?  Was this a scene straight out of You've Got Mail or Seinfeld?  I normally don't get very star struck about anything, but I was a bit star struck by NY.  We were only there for three days, but we walked all over the place, saw everything from the Museums to Central Park,  to the classic New York Diner.  Loved every minute!

It is the sort of city where you can become very inspired.  I wrote a lot of music when I got back from being overseas.  Fall Too Hard is probably the best example of my post traveling inspiration.  I think it puts your life into perspective, when you go away, and then return again.

It's not that I wrote about being in big yellow taxis, (already been done eh!) but it puts you at a higher state of awareness of self and situation.  I just felt clear, and inspired when I got back home and sat down at the piano...

Speaking of which, it is calling me from the other room, I'm thinking of a composition about NY - now I know why there are so many song written about the place!

Shell xx

2 comments:

  1. I love New York too Shell!!! I will never forget Naomi's face (she was nine at the time) when she saw Toy's R Us in Times Square, all three stories of it with ferris wheel inside!!! And a whole floor of Barbie World!! Just awesome!!

    We took the Staten Island Ferry out to see the Statue of Liberty and it was so foggy/smoggy we could barely see her at all in the rain!!

    We went to the World Trade Center site and were touched by the size of the hole in the ground where it once stood and the tragic loss of innocent lives. Even though NY is such a bustling place there seemed to be an air of reverence there in the midst of it all.

    We queued for three hours to get into the Empire State Building, and it was worth it!!

    New York New York, I can hear Frank Sinatra singing now.....

    Start spreading the news
    I'm leaving today
    I want to be a part of it, New York, New York
    These vagabond shoes
    Are longing to stray
    And make a brand new start of it
    New York, New York
    I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps
    To find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap
    These little town blues
    Are melting away
    I'll make a brand new start of it
    In old New York
    If I can make it there
    I'll make it anywhere
    It's up to you, New York, New York.

    I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps
    To find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap
    These little town blues
    Are melting away
    I'll make a brand new start of it
    In old New York
    If I can make it there
    I'll make it anywhere
    It's up to you, New York, New York.

    Ebb and Kander 1977

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts...